Ardglass Golf Club Centenary 1896-1996

Categories: , ,

Description

Ardglass..”can lay claim to having the oldest building used as a golf club house in the world. The present building started its existence as a fortified warehouse that operated as a safe haven for 15th century importers and exporters. The initial construction of the castle started no later than 1405..

The story of Ardglass Golf Club and links began in 1896, under the leadership of the Rev Thomas MacAfee (a Presbyterian Minister). The first incarnation was a 7-hole layout with a total length of less than 1,000 yards and shoehorned into the area that is now our 1st and 18th fairways. Over the next 100 years our Club leased and then purchased the additional land that stretches out to Ringfad Point and around to the original Coney Island Bay.”

Additional information

Author(s)

Rice, George

Dustwrapper

Irish Interest

Pages

Year of Publication

Reviews

There are no reviews yet.

Be the first to review “Ardglass Golf Club Centenary 1896-1996”

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *