County Armagh Golf Club 1893-1993 Centenary

Categories: , ,

Description

Limited Edition 1000 copies

“County Armagh is a beautiful 18-hole course set in Georgian parkland with magnificent panoramic views of the historic City and its surrounding countryside.

The Club is one of the oldest in Ireland, formed in 1893 under the auspices of the Armagh Archery and Lawn Tennis Club. In that year it was generously granted the use of the land in the Demesne by Mr George de la Prev. Beresford, rent free. When the land – some 350 acres – was sold in 1916 to the Diocesan Council for a very reasonable sum, the club was granted an annual tenancy at a nominal rent.

…The design of the new 18 holes was entrusted to Don Patterson, the Warrenpoint professional, and Alan Smith, a course architect. The contract for building the course was awarded towards the end of 1972 to JG Duff and Co. for the sum of £26,000. A further £12,000 was later added to bring an automatic water-sprinkling system to the furthest reaches of the course.” [Extract from Website]

 

Additional information

Author(s)

O'Hare, John L

Dustwrapper

Illustrations By

,

Irish Interest

ISBN

Pages

Year of Publication